Electronic Case Reporting Use Case
This use case allows healthcare providers to send case reports regarding a patient’s infectious disease status to a public health agency.
About this Use Case
Reporting infectious diseases is an important component of overall public health.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
Public health agencies need to manage cases of “reportable conditions” in their surveillance systems. Upward of 90 conditions are required by law to be reported in every state and territory. [Surveillance of these cases of reportable conditions is] needed to manage outbreaks like Ebola or Measles, as well as to monitor more routine trends that need to be investigated and managed by public health officials to protect the public from infection (e.g. cases of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis).
Healthcare providers are required to report communicable diseases so that:
- Outbreaks can be managed
- More routine trends can be investigated and managed
- The public can be protected from infection
- Treatment and education can be provided to impacted populations and providers
- Preventive measures can be enacted
- Long-term success efforts can be measured
- Research into causes and cures can be more exact