Medication Management Use Case
The Medication Management Bundle use case scenario applies medication management Knowledge Objects (KOs) holding computable knowledge in the form of implemented computer algorithms to enrich health information already flowing through the Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services (MiHIN).
About this Use Case
Each KO in this bundle addresses a specific medication-related challenge, enabling more actionable and timely reports and messages to be delivered to care team members.
Although medications can improve the health of patients, there are many challenges which arise with medication use and require active medication management strategies. Some of the main challenges faced by healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers are:
- Managing polypharmacy, which is the use of many medications by a single patient;
- Medication misuse, dependency, and addiction;
- The high cost of certain medications such as those which treat Hepatitis C;
- Medication regimen adherence, and
- Medication errors and adverse drug events.