The Upper Peninsula Health Information Exchange (UPHIE) is a legally Qualified Organization currently in production of exchanging electronic health information with MiHIN.
UPHIE is a health information organization that started from a background of strong collaboration between facilities, providers and other health care organizations, mainly in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and is a trusted partner in data exchange dedicated to helping health care providers obtain the information necessary to improve efficiency, quality, care coordination, patient safety, and continuity of care.
UPHIE was created for the purpose of advancing Michigan’s initiative to continuously improve health care quality, efficiency, and patient safety by promoting secure, electronic exchange of health information through the Health Information Exchange (HIE) process. UPHIE is one of Michigan’s HIE QOs and gateways to the Michigan Health Information Network (MiHIN), which represents a growing network of public and private health care organizations working to overcome data sharing barriers, reduce costs, and ultimately improve the health of Michigan’s residents through population health advancements.
By leveraging strong HIE vendor partnerships, UPHIE has been able to expand their service area beyond the Upper Peninsula to include other areas of the State of Michigan and bordering states.
Capabilities currently include:
- Clinical Portal — provides pertinent clinical information at the healthcare providers fingertips with a community-wide longitudinal patient record, including admission/discharge/transfer messages, continuity of care documents, consolidated lab results with critical value alerts, medication history, allergies, diagnostic views, problem lists, visit history, radiology results, and secure clinical communications.
- Lab Hub solution delivering HL7 lab and radiology results directly into the Participant’s EHR, Statewide Lab Result Submission, and delivery to JVHL
- Support of HIE Standard transactions such as XDS.b and XCA for cross-community query
- DTAAP Certified DIRECT Messaging HISP
- Submission of Michigan Public Health reporting data to the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR), Michigan Syndromic Surveillance System (MSSS), and the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS).
- Rapid onboarding for clinics who wish to participate in the Active Care Relationship Service (ACRS), and the Statewide ADT and Summary of Care (Discharge CCD) Notification Service.
- XDR technology which allows Direct messaging within the Participant’s EHR
- Active participants in Query by Parameter (QBP) for historical immunizations, Common Key Service (CKS) to improve patient matching, State Lab Submission, and Med Rec/CCD exchange.
- Clinical Quality Measure (CQM) submission for State / Federal programs
- DIRECT Messaging communication with the Veterans Administration and supported behavioral health agencies
UPHIE Contact Info